Friday, October 18, 2013

7 Quick Takes - Randoms from the week!

Quote of the week from Megan.  My Mom stayed with us a couple of nights last week.  At six in the morning when Meg crawled into my bed, I mistakenly thought I might get a few more minutes of sleep if I reminded her that Grandma was upstairs.  Maybe she would go crawl into bed with her.  She left the room and came back 30 seconds later and impatiently stated: "Come on Mom, let's go visit your Mama who we call Grandma!!"  All I could do was laugh.

Karen and Megan are enrolled in gymnastics... it has been an absolute kick watching them!!  They love it.  They are both complete fruitloops out there sometimes!  But most importantly (especially for Karen) it is helping to teach them how to control their bodies.  We can't afford physical therapy for Karen, and I don't know that she REALLY needs it, but I can't understate how GOOD I think this has been for her.  I'll have to keep you updated on the progress I see in her.


Speaking of progress and Karen - She is doing FABULOUS in kindergarten.  The reports I continue to get are that she is a leader, likes to offer answers in class (I don't have specifics on how well they understand her), and that her willingness to try in speech and in other areas that she has struggled is so much better than last year.  It's amazing what age does!!

A second point on the above line of thought.  Her IEP review is coming up... EEK!!  It needs some work.  Very definitely needs some work on the goals.  I've been putting it off but need to get working on it.  I also signed off on the approval for them to begin retesting her.  It's been three years since the school has done any testing.

Is it horrible that I'm worried that she'll test too high and will therefor be inelligible for services through the school? 

Testing high would be a good thing! Right?!

I guess the truth is that I don't think she's ready to not have extra speech and OT through the school, but have this worry that somehow her tests will show otherwise...

I've fallen so completely off the exercise wagon, that it isn't even in sight anymore!!  I think I'm going on six weeks since I've done any sort of structured workout... lots of activity with the kids, but nothing specifically to workout.  Really need to catch back up to that wagon.  My clothes aren't fitting right!  (luckily, or rather unluckily, it's fall so I can hide behind more layers...)

Do you menu plan?  I've done it sporadically and have always liked the weeks when I've done it.  We are in a definite rut with regard to meals.  The kids are requesting pb&j nearly every day for lunch.  I've been doing a lot of eggs and pancakes for dinner for them because it gets to dinner time and I don't have a plan!

We've subscribed to e-Mealz for a year or more, but I've yet to follow their menu.  Any recommendations on how you approach meal planning would be welcome!!

Last week ended well.  The anniversary of Jessica's death was actually a pleasant one.  My folks were in town for a long weekend.  We all met for Mass at the Cathedral at noon.  Following Mass we decided to head to the park since it was a beautiful day and that sounded better than going back to Jen & Jeff's... It was a beautiful afternoon and the kids made some wonderful memories.



For more Quick Takes, visit Conversion Diary!

No comments :