Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Planning a charity walk {Tackle it Tuesday}

Planning a charity walk is not something I've done before. In fact, I didn't want to do it!!  I kept checking to see if CASANA (Childhood Apraxia of Speech Association of North America) had a walk scheduled for my area this summer, and alas no... I kept talking with Karen's SLP in Spokane hoping that maybe she would find someone (besides me) to organize one since we both thought it was a great idea (and since she isn't already busy enough), and again no...

As summer kept getting closer and the details were finalized for the intensive apraxia speech camp that will be in Spokane this summer, I decided that I'd better get it done if I wanted one to happen.  So, here I sit, finding myself trying to figure out what all needs to be done to plan the "Inland Northwest Washington Walk for Apraxia"!!

All I can say is "ACK!!



My husband's response when I told him... "Really?

Fortunately, he's coming around to the idea (or at least reconciling himself to the fact that I'm going to be dedicating some time to this) because I need his help and support!  The walk is scheduled for Saturday, June 22nd.  It falls right between the two weeks of speech camp that Karen will be going to.  We (her SLP and I) are hoping that many of the families that will be participating in the speech camp will be interested in participating in the walk.

My original (and boring) plan had been to simply schedule a walk, have everyone show up and give them their t-shirts and then go out on a walk for a mile or two... then I was added to the Walk Coordinators Facebook page and realized how much more effort other folks were putting into their walks!  Kids games like three-legged races, potato sack races, face painting, clowns and balloons!  Raffles and giveaways! And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

I'm not complaining - just feeling both a little overwhelmed and a little inadequate!  I've got 7 weeks to pull together a walk that will be fun for both the kids participating and the adults sharing in it!  That has to be me goal - I don't want to try and compare our walk to the others that I'm reading about - many of them are walks that have been held for several years, so they have experience.  Most of them are not being planned on this short of a timeframe... so I remind myself of those things and am trying to create a vision for what our first walk should look like!

Stay tuned for more details over the next few weeks.  A few prayers thrown my way wouldn't hurt either... :)  Or, if you have any experience planning a walk, advice??

Here is our webpage for the walk - that's my beautiful daughter gracing the page!

No comments :