Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Sidelined!

Yep, I've been sidelined by the darn injury bug. 

Last week I will admit that I probably (ok, considering I'm injured it would be obviously) overdid it.  I had several new Jillian videos that I was experimenting with, but also had a hard time giving up my runs.  So I had several days where I did a double workout.  My legs were tired, but I felt that and adjusted accordingly.  My calves and hamstrings were tight, but I adjusted for those, stretched well and made sure I warmed up well.  At no point in the week was there an odd ache or pain that made me worry about an overuse injury, or any injury for that matter.

My run on Sunday was just what my soul needed.  Outside, perfectly cool weather, barely a breeze, and I felt relaxed and strong.  Cut to about a half mile left of my seven-miler...  A twinge in my knee that hadn't been there before.  It was pretty sore by the time I finished, but not unbearable.  Over the next few hours though it went from sore to painful.

After talking with a couple of friends who are physical therapists, my self diagnosis is ITB pain.  I've been doing stretches several times a day and have been noticing a slow improvement.  Monday I was unable to walk up and down stairs on my right knee - let me tell you, it is slow going when you are taking every step with the same foot!  Tuesday was marginally better, I could somewhat navigate the stairs but it was still pretty rough trying to pack kids!

So far today it is tender, I feel it when I go up and down the stairs, but it is not debilitating.  I've tried a slow jog in my kitchen and the pain immediately returns.  I'm left with trying to figure out how long it will take before I can hop on the treadmill again.

*sigh* Lately it always seems about the time I get into a really good pattern something happens - I get sick or injured, kids are sick...  The most frustrating part about this is the suddenness of it.  If there had been a building pain that I ignored that led to this point, that would be one thing.  But I feel as though I went from 100% to 0% with no transition.

Well, I've been on the sideline quite a bit this last year, so I guess it's time to deal with it and move on.  God uses all things, right? So I should take my extra time that would be spent working out and use it to pray or read my daily scriptures and meditation.  I should take my frustration and offer it up for those that are permanently debilitated and won't ever be able to return to working out. 


2 comments :

Kortni said...

So sorry to read this. That is one of the most frustrating injuries. Take care of yourself and focus on the areas you can exercise!

Shelly said...

I hope you are doing better now. I wish I loved running like you do. I hope you can get back to is soon.