Friday, December 14, 2012

Buttery Sweet Chex Mix

I first had this recipe at a holiday party when I was a kid.  I don't remember who brought it but know that they shared the recipe because it has been a holiday staple for me ever since!

I didn't take any pictures of the process of making it because my brain has been a bit tired these days... but the recipe is worth sharing and easy enough!

Sweet Chex Mix
18oz box Golden Grahams
18oz box Chex (Corn, Rice, Bran, etc)
2cups Coconut Flakes
16oz Slivered Almonds
Mix together in a large bowl or cookie sheet.  I usually use my 18quart open roasting pan and spray it lightly with non-stick cooking spray before adding the ingredients.  I also usually buy a box of Corn Chex and a box of Rice Chex and use half of each.
1 1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 cups Light Karo Syrup
Boil to Soft Ball Stage (134degrees).  I use a candy thermometer because I've found that going under the 134 temp leads to soggy chex mix and going over, even by a little, leads to brittle mix.

Pour candied syrup over chex mixture and mix thoroughly.  Allow to cool and then gently break into chunks into serving bowl, holiday bags, etc.


No comments :